Friday, July 29, 2011

"No longer Sad"


1 Samuel 1:18 Hannah said, Let your handmaid find grace in your sight. So [she] went her way and ate, her countenance no longer sad.

Hannah had a big problem. She harbored bitterness and discontentment in her heart. She was a barren woman, and her husbands other wife, Peninah, tortured and provoked her over not having been able to produce children. Though Peninah had given Elkanah sons and daughters, his heart was touched by Hannah and he loved her more. So when it came time to go to the temple for sacrifice and worship, he gave to Peninah, and all of her sons and daughters their portion. To Hannah, a double portion was given. However, at this time, Peninah had provoked her to the point of depression and Hannah could not eat. At the temple she poured out her bitterness, her tears, and her petitions before the Lord. She laid down her requests and the Priest, Eli, thought her to be a rambling drunk woman. After sharply rebuking her, she pleaded for understanding that she was not drunk, but crying out to God. Eli ends up sending her off with a blessing and she walked away no longer sad.

This verse was amazing to me as I sat and thought about what my countenance is like after I pray. There have been countless times where I have wept bitterly before the Lord, pouring out my heart and my complaints at his feet. But what is my heart attitude like after that? Do I leave my worries, requests, and complaints at the feet of Jesus and walk away changed? Do I obey as 1 Peter 5:7 instructs? 

"Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully."

This is so on time (as God always is) because there is a lot of worry and concern weighing on my heart right now. (as life usually does) But will I follow Hannah's example and go to the Lord, release my concerns and worries to him, and walk away different than the way I came? 
Lighter?
Released?
Free?

I choose to go before Him and walk away "no longer sad." I know that I can trust in the Lord, as He has been so faithful to me and is so worthy of it all. 

Heavenly Father, I come to you because you are the all-knowing God and you can see where I am blind.  I release my fears, my burdens, and my desires to you. I pray that you would give me wisdom to see things that I need to change, and the strength to be obedient to you in making those changes. I thank you Jesus, that I can have an encounter with you and walk away changed. I choose to trust you today, because you are so worthy of my trust. Thank you for your faithfulness to me. I honor and praise you Father and bless your Holy name today. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment