Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Did you say something?

I am by no means a "sports-fanatic". However, my husband is a big Lakers fan and because of that I have come to appreciate and enjoy watching basketball with him. If any of you follow the sport, you have probably heard of the $100,000.00 fine that Kobe Bryant incurred after making a comment that was...well, let's say "controversial". There has been so much commotion about this incident; on Facebook alone there were 3,218 comments (the last time I checked). People were outraged that Kobe Bryant was being fined for a comment that he had made. Outraged that they would make him pay that amount of money for a slip of the mouth in the heat of the moment.

All of this got me thinking....

The Bible clearly states that there will be a day when we will all have to stand before the Most Holy God and answer for every idle word we have spoken.

Matthew 12:36 says  "But I tell you, on the day of judgment men will have to give account for every idle (inoperative, nonworking)word they speak."


What will it be like? To stand before God Almighty and have to answer for all of the stupid things we let slip out of our mouths in the heat of the moment? Or when we are bored? Or judgmental? And the list goes on and on...

I have a list of Bible verses in a small notebook that I keep in my purse, all having to deal with "the mouth". I think I will work on being more intentional about the words that I speak!

No comments:

Post a Comment